Friday, October 31, 2008

October 20 - 31 - Ft Hood, TX

Sunrise from our RV at Belton Lake, Ft Hood, TX was a beautiful site. Ft. Hood, so I was told, is the 2nd largest Army base in the U.S and I believe it. This place is massive. It's also a pleasant place to visit. When passing through the gates, you are greated by the guard with "Welcome to a great place". When shopping, the same greeting and thanks is given by the cashiers. They make your stay very pleasant.


Then at 0100 hrs, when you hear the "sound of freedom" at work, you don't mind so much. Yes, we awoke one night to the booming sound of ordinance going off in the distance. Bombs, missles, or gernades. We couldn't tell except that they were there and we could hear it. We just listened for a few moments and then rolled over a went back to sleep.



We took some time to visit the Army's museum complete with tanks and helicopters. As I laughingly told my retired army friend, Col. Arnie Sargeant, here we are at the home of the calvery and I didn't see one horse except for the iron one's.



We also attended a say for retiree's. They had a very complete health fair with all types of screening. Rose found out that I really am part deaf and not just tuning her out. I sure was greatful for that bit of news.



They had a very well equipped gym that we used too. It was nice to get into the water and swim. One day we may be able to swim as far as our grandchildren. I have a lot of work to do, for sure.





I also got to try my hand at some fishing at Belton Lake. My 1st days catch wasn't a belly filler but it was a start. We wound up full meals of perch and more than enough catfish for us. It's a fun way for me to reconnect with the kid inside of me.

If you ever get the chanch to come through here during the holiday season, be sure to check out the holiday lights. We were able to watch the setup and testing and it sure is impressive. I was told that this time of year is a high spot in the lives around Ft. Hood. It brings people from all over to see the display.